After reading the assigned articles for this week, I was very excited to learn many different sites that can help my students learn, as well as, get them excited about using the computer and completing a project. One site that I absolutely loved was Read Write Think. I believe I stumbled upon this site a few years ago, and I had my students write some Diamente poems using their format, but I could never find the site again, (part of being old). When I started using the site for more than a Diamente poem, I realized my students would love so many of the interactive resources. One resource in particular is called the Bio-Cube, which states it is for grades 3-12. I will definitely use this resource soon just to get my children ready for their significant tasks. We just started reading non-fiction, so this will be a great tool for my classroom.
To find the Bio-Cube student interactive resource, just go tohttp:/www.readwritethink.com and click on classroom resources, then click on student interactive resources, and then type in Bio-Cube, or scroll down until you find Bio-Cube, or any other interactive activity that you want to have your students work on. With Bio-Cube, students can rotate the cube in any way and then add the data requested. Within minutes they will have a biographical research project completed! I think my students will love doing biographies now!
Read Write Think is not just for students to interact with technology, but a teacher can also interact and learn new technologies by watching key speakers and reading the latest postings on education and technology. This site connects thousands of educators in providing resources for the classroom, social networking tools, and newsfeeds on the latest educational news. (Dede 2011)
Another site that I know I am going to use with my junior high students is The National Library of Virtual Manipulatives. This site is located at http://nlvm.usu.edu/en/nav/vlibrary.html. With this site, I will be able to give my students manipulatives on a computer screen to solve algebraic equations, plot on coordinate planes, find factors, transformations, or geometry skills for their grade level. This site can be for a child as young as pre-K through 12th grade. I think it will be a great site for my struggling math students, as well as, my proficient students. This site will keep my students totally engaged, while they are learning.
All of the sites on the free web resources for your classroom were informative and useful. Some of the sites even bring you to other connecting sites that are interactive and fun for children of all ages. Enjoy your web resources and use technology to your advantage in the classroom!
Posted by
Paula Teacher 4 Life
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Labels: http://www.readwritethink.org/about/news/learning-through-technology-chris-47.html
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
I completely agree with you about getting the kids completely emerged into their learning. When you put NH kids on computers they lose it! Literally! Their minds go crazy because so many of them have no access at home. When you trick them into working on a program that actually teaches them something it's even better. I know your kiddos are tough. I'm amazed that they settle down for this. It says something about you! I think that technology has been a gift for some of our most difficult students, and some students for whom the typical classroom setting is just too difficult.
Post a Comment